Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Novena to the Sacred Heart, Day Six



Begin with the Sign of the Cross.


Sacred Heart of Jesus, today I wish to live in You, in Your grace, in which I desire at all costs to persevere. Keep me from sin and strengthen my will by helping me to keep watch over my senses, my imagination, and my heart. Help me to correct my faults which are the source of sin. I beg You to do this, O Jesus, through Mary, Your Immaculate Mother.


Many people speak of the Catholic Faith as though it were something they could tuck into their pocket, something that they possess. Rather, we should desire to be possessed by the Faith, utterly absorbed by it, while at the same time never losing that unique identity that God has given us. As John Paul II pointed out in his letter, Redemptor Hominis, man cannot discover himself unless he discovers Christ. Today let us pray for a more zealous desire to love Christ and His Church. Let us also pray that whatever we do to harm communion with the universal Church, we will have the good sense to repent off.

Sacred Heart Novena Prayer (2)
Hail, O Sacred Heart of Jesus, living and animating source of eternal life, infinite treasure of the Divinity, burning furnace of divine love. Our amiable Savior, consume our hearts with that burning love with which Yours is ever inflamed. Pour down on our souls those graces which flow from Your love, and let our hearts be so united with Yours, that our will may be one, and in all things conformed to Yours. May Yours be the standard and rule of our desires and of our actions.
V: O sweetest Heart of Jesus, we implore,
R: That we may ever love You more and more.

Conclude with the Sign of the Cross.

(1)Father Hardon's Catholic Prayer Book with meditations. Eternal Life Publishing: Bardstown, KY. pg. 175.
(2) Father Hardon's Catholic Prayer Book with meditations. Eternal Life Publishing: Bardstown, KY. pg. 175-6.

No comments: