Saturday, February 21, 2004

I Suppose I Should Be Flattered...

I was informed today via email that Crisis magazine was using a letter I wrote them in April 2002 as part of their advertising for new subscriptions. I haven't seen the material itself as I am already a subscriber they may not target me. As I recall the letter, it was meant to be an encouragement as well as praise for a particularly good issue.

Finding out they are using this letter for advertising purposes bothers me a little. I certainly didn't write it for that purpose and I don't like the fact that it is being used for that purpose. It would be different if they had contacted me and said, "Hey, we are thinking of using your testimonial. Any problem with that?" I really do like Crisis, I read it cover to cover, and think that in general they will be a very positive contribution to Catholic media in the English speaking world. But this has left a sour taste in my mouth. The very least they could do is give me a free subscription if they liked the letter that much.

On the upside, I should be able to guilt them into publishing a couple of articles.

No comments: