Monday, February 23, 2004

I'm back from Golgotha
I have just viewed "The Passion of the Christ." Almost all I can say is sometimes silence is best. So much of the significance of what the film portrays is told without words, in subtlety, with eyes, face, and hands. I don't know why I didn't expect that given that I knew beforehand the film's language is almost nobody's spoken language. And it is such a CATHOLIC film! I almost wonder if our separated brethren can fully participate in the film; I wonder if they might be likely to miss some of the subtlety of which I write.

The theme that opened the flood gate of my tears time and again, and the one thing I really want to post here, is that the interaction between Jesus and his mother, Mary, is almost unbearable. Odd, given the physical violence displayed all over the screen. And then again, not so odd. Ave Domine Iesu! Ave Crux, Spes Unica! Ave Maria!

No comments: