Sunday, February 22, 2004

Soup and a Prayer

Cream of Mushroom Soup
1/4 Cup Butter
3/4 Cup Green Onion, chopped and including tops
2 Cups Fresh Mushrooms, chopped
2 Tablespoons Flour
1 Cup Half & Half (No fat type could be substituted)
1 Cup Chicken Broth (Low sodium type could be sub'd)
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/8 teaspoon Pepper

I usually double the above recipe. I also tend to cut back slightly on the amount of onions. In a large skillet or soup pot cook chopped green onions in butter over low heat until tender. Add the chopped mushrooms and cook the mixture, stirring for several minutes (2-5 min). Add flour to the mixture and cook, stirring several minutes (3-5 min). Remove the pan from the heat. Add chicken broth and half & half in a steady stream, whisking. Put back on heat and bring to a boil over moderate heat. Simmer, stirring for several minutes (at least 5). Add salt and pepper. The flavor seems to come out much better if it is not eaten immediately, but made ahead of time and reheated later.

Do yourself a favor and make this oh so easy and oh so delicious soup! I am posting it as a Lenten culinary idea. Friends, I have NEVER willfully chosen mushroom soup anything. I was skeptical. This is absolutely heavenly! Trust me.

I must give credit to a family friend, Tricia, from my home parish for this recipe. I have been visiting her son in jail for several months now. And here is where the prayer comes in. Please pray for her son, Thane. I remember him as a young boy in the neighborhood and the school yard. He became caught up in drugs. That led to robberies for drug money. He's 20 years old and was sentenced to 25 years on a guilty plea. Enjoy the soup and, at least this Lent, could you pray for this young man and his family? Gosh Catholicism is so creative! You can make soup AND participate in a work of mercy all at the same time!

No comments: