Monday, April 19, 2004

Making too much of a "good thing"
I was absolutely exhausted from a whirlwind weekend. Every night last week was consumed with full rehearsals for "The Sound of Music". The show opened on Friday, with another show on Saturday evening, following confessions and Mass. I think I must have been wired because I could not get to sleep Saturday night. I got up and cleaned up my office (it really needed it!) and finally fell asleep around 2:30 a.m. I was up again at 5:30 a.m. for the drive to one of our missions and then back for another Mass. I had a quick lunch and a brief nap before Sunday afternoon's matinee show. After that, I threw several things in a bag and hit the road for the four hour drive to Oklahoma City and my free days for the month. I was exhausted by the time I made it to Mom's house.

So, I slept in until about 10:00 a.m. this morning. As I was eating my late morning cereal, I turned on the TV and found Martha Stewart Living in progress. She gave a demonstration of the various types of work gloves for gardening and household chores. Certain gloves work better for use with tools; gloves made of different material are great for working in the rose garden and dulling the thorns before giving the rose to someone. And in true Martha style, she had an organized box where she keeps all her gloves. The kicker for me was that before showing her audience how to store the gloves in the box, she clipped each pair together with a clothes pin. Now, I am sort of with her (sort of!) when it comes to having different gloves for different chores, though I have only one pair that I keep in my trunk for changing tires and car work. But, come on!, clipping them together? As if when I open the fabled glove container, it is really going to strain me to pick out an UN-clipped pair of gloves? I mean, glove matching, folks! That's a rudimentary Sesame Street exercise! If, by some obsessive-compulsive nightmare, I should accidentally pull out two mismatched gloves, why, I'll just quickly get the match to the pair I desire and throw the other glove back in the box! Though Martha always has some fine observations and household insights, I think her neurosis got the better of her in that segment, such that she made too much of a "good thing".

No comments: