Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Green With Envy

This is one of those up-side/down-side posts. Please read the whole thing before drawing conclusions.

While visiting in Philadelphia, I got an update on two of my classmates: Frs. Joseph Shenosky and Patrick Welsh. His Eminence, Justin Cardinal Rigali, has appointed them to study in Rome for the next few years. I know for certain that Fr. Shenosky will be away for four years and presume the same holds true for Fr. Welsh. Of course, I am postively thrilled for them and know that they will put their time in the Eternal City to good use both in the immediate and long term.

At the same time, I am not a little jealous. Thankfully, since they are from another diocese, I can put aside any feeling directed at them. I am jealous more for the opportunity. Given the situation in the Archdiocese of Oklahoma City, the chances for my going back for further studies are slim to none, and this bothers me. I think that I have an above average intellect and my temperment slides in the direction of academic pursuits. I believe, although I could be mistaken, that I would do well with further studies, but that doesn't seem like it's in the cards.

So, please remember the good Fathers when they go abroad. May they be much enriched by their work and studies.

No comments: