Wednesday, May 26, 2004

The Significance of Dates

As a Christian, I don't believe in things like fate or destiny, but I do believe that God arranges things to fit the plan of salvation. That's better known as providence. I was reflecting once on how you can get a shape of someone's life by looking at the dates of significant occurances.

For example, today is the fourth anniversary of my ordination to the Priesthood. When I discovered the convergent dates, I was most pleased. I remember one of my seminary professors saying of this date, "He's a good friend to priests and he suits you." As I read more on St. Philip, there is a certain truthfulness to my priest friend's observation. More to the point, because this saint comes up on the calendar, he serves as a reminder. When the date is bare, it is harder, in my opinion, to get fired-up or attached to the date. When you have a saint to compare notes against, you know how much you need to be converted again to the Gospel.

No comments: