Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Can I get a "Boo-Yah!"?

Tonight was the first night of the Borromeo Project in Alva. This class is the small one, only four participants. For the most part it went well, but I felt like I talked too much. I may need to keep a stopwatch of my talking or something like that. It is very rewarding to see people start to get excited about learning the Faith.

Anyway, to fulfill my role in the universe as "theological crack dealer," I thought I would give you all a little taste of the Borromeo Project, just so you can get a sense of what it is like. Now remember, you do these sessions by yourself in preparation for a group discussion once a week. So, here are days one and two of week two, first term of the Borromeo Project. Paragraph numbers refer to the CCC.


The opening and closing prayers are recited as one begins and concludes one's time of study.
Opening Prayer:

Let us Pray:
O my God, I firmly believe that you are one God in three divine Persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; I believe that your divine Son became man and died for our sins, and that he will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe these and all the truths which the Holy Catholic Church teaches, because you revealed them, who can neither deceive nor be deceived.


Closing Prayer:

Let us pray:
O My God, I love you above all things, with my whole heart and soul, because you are all-good and worthy of all love. I love my neighbor as myself for the love of you. I forgive all who injured me and ask pardon of all whom I have injured.

Week 2, Day 1
Date:

Step One: Preparation for Study
A. Begin by making the Sign of The Cross
B. Recite the Opening Prayer: See Page 14

Step Two: Reading
Read Paragraphs #84 – 95

Step Three: Time for Reflection
A. Reflection Questions:
1. Whose task is it to give definite interpretations of the meaning of Sacred Scripture and Tradition? What is the obligation of the faithful in reference to these definitive interpretations?
2. Define a dogma. By whose authority does the Church define these things?
3. What relationship does a dogma have with our spiritual life?
4. List three ways in which the Church deepens and perfects her faith as found in the Catechism.
5. True or False: The Magisterium of the Church is not necessary for our salvation. Why?

B. Time for Meditation – Spend a few minutes reflecting upon what you have learned and what God might be trying to direct you to do. List a few of them below.

Step Four: Conclusion of Study
A. Recite the Closing Prayer: See Page 14
B. Finish by making the Sign of The Cross

Week 2, Day 2
Date:

Step One: Preparation for Study
A. Begin by making the Sign of The Cross
B. Recite the Opening Prayer: See Page 14

Step Two: Reading
Read Paragraphs #101 – 108

Step Three: Time for Reflection
A. Reflection Questions:
1. How can we think of the writing of the Sacred Scriptures as an “incarnational” act?
2. What kind of truth does the Sacred Scriptures teach and for what purpose is it given?
3. When were the Sacred Scriptures brought together in one book, the Holy Bible? What “age” do we rely upon for the canon of Sacred Scripture?
4.Who is the primary author of the Sacred Scriptures? What role do the human authors play in the composition of the sacred texts?
5. Is Christianity a religion of the Book like Islam and Judaism? How do they differ from those religions that also possess a sacred text?

B. Time for Meditation – Spend a few minutes reflecting upon what you have learned and what God might be trying to direct you to do. List a few of them below.

Step Four: Conclusion of Study
A. Recite the Closing Prayer: See Page 14
B. Finish by making the Sign of The Cross


Does that whet your appetite?

No comments: