Friday, June 18, 2004

A Strange Convergence

When I was driving to the Cathedral for the Ordination Mass recently, I got behind a SUV that had three items on it/in it that taken separately aren't odd. When you put them together, it's a different story.

Here they are in the order I noticed them. 1. On the bumper, there was a pro-abortion bumper sticker. I particularly hate this specific sticker: "If you can't trust me with a choice how can you trust me with a child?" Well, let's see. Since you think that there is no problem with killing the child you are carrying, and that this "choice" has no moral implications, then you're right. I don't trust you with children...anyone's children. 2. A sticker on the back window from the Kairos movement. Kairos is a retreat program done in prisons to permit them the opportunity to know Christ better. 3. Hanging from the rear view mirror was a rosary. Now that's weird.

So let me see if I understand how this works. The driver of the car venerates Mary, the ultimate symbol of being pro-life. Imagine how things would be if she had said "no" to the Incarnation. At the same time, she promotes a choice that actively contradicts both God's special time and the possibility of conversion represented by Kairos and the rosary hanging from her rear view mirror. If you ever wanted a definition for the fragmented modern person, here it is.

No comments: