Monday, June 07, 2004

'Tis a Pity

Well, I have been meaning to mention this for the last several days, but I received word back from Ignatius Press. They have turned down the Borromeo Project. Frankly, I am not surprised by this as I know they tried to make a foray into adult formation curriculum that didn't pan out. I must admit that at least the rejection letter was hand-signed and not terribly impersonal. On a past occasion, I received a rejection letter from another publisher where you could clearly see the imprint of the rubber stamp used to emboss the signature. On a side note, I did receive an email from someone at the Press who thought that the project is a good idea, but that they were not the publishers. I can understand that. Once bitten, twice shy.

Now, you may be asking yourself, "If you suspected, Father, that they would say "no", then why did you even send it to them?" I sent it to Ignatius because I respect and appreciate the work they do. If you were to examine my shelves, you would find that a great number of my books are from IP. The works they have published have been very influential in my life and my formation as a priest. As a matter of fact, when I see a book is published by Ignatius, I take it as a stamp of orthodoxy. So, I wanted the BP to be part of that stable of most excellent works. Is that so wrong?

Thank you for all your prayers during these last two months while I waited to hear back. I think that I will farm this out to Our Sunday Visitor or Liturgical Training Publications. Before you flood my comments box, the person from Ignatius mentioned that Cardinal George was looking for a way to turn around LTP and that the BP might be a good way to start that. If only I had some sense of how involved he was with LTP's editorial board...

No comments: