Saturday, September 25, 2004

ALITTLE BONHOEFFER

Since I mentioned Deitrich Bonhoeffer in my last post, and not sure if the readers of CRM would know who he is, I thought I should add something. Dietrich Bonhoeffer was a young German theologian (a leader in the Confessional [Lutheran] Church of Germany) who witnessed the descent of his nation into the neopagan world of Nazism. Though he had several opportunities to escape Germany and the Nazis, he chose to stay with his flock and to preach the truth, in love, despite the risk. He was arrested by the Nazis and killed, I would say martyred, in 1945. Here is a quote from the first chapter of his book, The Cost of Discipleship, which I think will become a spiritual classic:
"Cheap grace is the preaching of forgiveness without requiring repentance,
baptism without church discipline, Communion without confession, absolution
without personal confession. Cheap grace is grace without discipleship,
grace without the cross, grace without Jesus Christ, living and incarnate."

No comments: