Friday, September 03, 2004

A Modest Tribute

I am not one given to sentimentality. Occasionally, though, a watershed moment occurs and it forces me to take a step back and look back upon the wide sweep of personal history.

When I met David J. Walker, I was still in the seminary. It was at the Easter Vigil, I think, but it might have been Christmas Midnight Mass. I recall the bells coming apart at the seams. Literally, they fell out of their respective sockets and shot all over the floor. There was a problem with the incense and the books...so it must have been the Vigil. Anyway, after the liturgy we struck up a conversation and given that Dave lived only a few blocks from the church, I went over for coffee. The chat lasted until the wee hours of the morning.

From there a friendship blossomed. Since I have the time, I can tell you how fast food almost caused Dave and I to freeze to death, but perhaps another time. Dave's hospitality and friendship have been a refuge to me in the years that I have known. Indispensable is the word that leaps to mind. In this time of friendship, I have encountered a person who doesn't give himself nearly the credit he deserves. He is of relentless service to the children of Edmond as a teacher of excellent quality. He demonstrates the unflagging desire to follow Christ, despite the setbacks we all suffer. He warmly and easily shows how to care for those who are in need, even to opening in home to them. And he turned me into a soccer and chess enthusiast which is saying a lot. In short, he has been an example and a witness to me.

Today is Dave's 40th birthday. His co-workers, I am certain, will have the usual, tasteless "Over-the-Hill" themed crap. Many folks treat their 40th as a tombstone. But you know, how we Christians are with tombstones; we let Christ overturn them. As a little lift, please take a spin past his not-frequently-updated-enough-for-my-taste blog, Davetown.

Happy Birthday, Buddy. It's a pity you aren't my biological brother; I could have used one like you growing up.

No comments: