Sunday, September 19, 2004

A Priest's Glove Box
Just moments ago I was refilling my small zip-loc bag of cotton balls that I keep in the glove box of my car, when I began to wonder if people might find the contents of my glove box odd. Other than the car owner's manual and the insurance verification form, my glove box contains a small bag of cotton balls, a mini-priest stole, a small ritual for anointings, a small vile of Oil of the Sick, an empty pyx with a purificator in a little case, and a small laminated sign reading "Emergency: Clergy on Call". All of these items are for use in sacramental emergencies (The cotton balls? That's for cleansing my thumb after administering an anointing.) but might seem a bit out of place in a glove box. But one must always be prepared... Christ comes in some unexpected ways and he has shown that he isn't adverse to appearing in the midst of often messy human life.

No comments: