Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Something in the air?
You have already heard Fr. Tharp lament that no one showed up a few weeks ago to his first RCIA class of the new year. Sadly, that situation has not changed. Tonight was the first session of RCIA in my parish, scheduled to begin at 7:00 p.m. At 7:02 p.m. a young married couple showed up. He is Catholic and interested in learning more of his faith; she is Baptist and already expresses a desire to become Catholic. Let there be no mistake, I am very happy they have come to the class. However, I am disappointed that there were not more. I advertised in the local newspaper (something that had not been done here in years) and I made personal telephone calls to people who had previously expressed interest in learning more about Catholicism. Yet no one else showed up. We will see what happens next week, as these matters seems to slowly grow by trickle effect.

It makes me wonder if there isn't something in the air of this deanery, which Fr. Tharp and I share. A town of 12,000 here and no one else has shown interest. Hopefully, we will have a few more next week. Rest assured, full attention and good catechesis will be given to the young couple who did show up!

No comments: