Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Plans which result in SQUEALS of Delight!

No, this is not going to be an homage to "When Harry Met Sally"'s famous deli scene. This is a fun story that I wanted to share about what goes on behind the glasses of one priest.

Readers of this blog are aware that I have been dogging my fingers to arrange a speaking tour for Mark Shea here in Oklahoma. I think I have all the remaining details finalized at this point. The only thing remaining is the flyers and sending a notice to the Sooner Catholic to get some advertising space. Anyway, as any one who has planned a big project or event like this, you know that it can get a little disheartening. Just between the work and the worry over whether or not it will be well-received, it wears you out. And then, for the control freak in us all, I worry that it will be of no benefit. That's where this story picks up.

Now, to protect the innocent, I have changed or obscured the names (I would use the pixel effect, but apparently all computer time in the world is taken up covering for Madonna's and Janet Jackson's planned "wardrobe malfunction. Say what you will about me, at least it's not her wardrobe malfunctioning...) so that if this embarasses them, there is plausible deniability.

I was on the phone with an old friend, and in the course of the conversation, he asked whether or not I still had Mark Shea coming. When I confirmed this, he said, and I roughly quote, "That's great. When la buena magistra heard about it, she squealed with delight." I immediately started laughing, and asked, "Come on, now. She really squealed?," not quite believing it. That's when he put her on the phone and she simulated the sound she made when she heard Mark was on his way. Yes, folks, it was a squeal of pure delight. And it made my day. At least one person liked the idea of having this speaker come, and it means that at least one person will benefit from the visit.

Here is the schedule as I have it thus far:
Sunday, November 14, 2004 St. Francis Xavier, Enid, OK Topic: TBA
Monday, Novemebr 15, 2004 St. Peter, Guymon, OK Topic: An Evangelical Discovers the Real Presence
Tuesday, November 16, 2004 St. Francis Xavier, Enid, OK Topic: TBA
Wednesday, November 17, 2004 Sacred Heart, Alva, OK Topic: An Evangelical Discovers the Real Presence
Thursday, November 18, 2004 St. Peter, Woodward, OK Topic: By What Authority?: An Evangelical Discovers Catholic Tradition

If you are interested in being there, fill in your calendar now. And calling the parishes in the next couple of weeks is a good idea.

No comments: