Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Better Late Than Never

I have not had a brilliant thought all day long. I have been too giddy with the election, for reasons that should be obvious to anyone who has read this blog more than once. But there are some unspoken things that make me giddy, but I can't promise brilliance. I can't even promise cogency, so you have been warned. Buckle up, it's going to be a bumpy ride through my frontal cortex.

First, while I think John Kerry and John Edwards prove the theory of evolution, given that they are the first two weasels who have learned how to walk up right, I must applaud Mr. Kerry for his ability to read the writing on the wall. His electoral vote was counted and found wanting. So, good for him for not acting like a certain wooden weenie whom shall remain nameless.

Second, any time we have a "transfer" of power I am amazed at the foresight of the Constitutional Framers. In other parts of the world, regime change and political stability come at the point of a rifle. And yet, election after election, despite irregularities and weird practices, the thing more or less works. Kudos to my fellow Americans.

Third, I am fascinated by the news reporters who are, apparently, a little surprised that disaffected teens didn't vote in droves. Ah...duh! It requires information to form an opinion or position. These kids, in my personal estimation, don't spend a lot of time thinking because the T.V. is blanking out their higher cognitive functions, and therefore don't get much in the way of information. When someone stands for or against something, this is what gets people out to vote. Ergo, no thought leads to no opinions leads to no voter turnout. And for those who have heard this diatribe before, to all those celebrities who thought that their celebrity mattered one iota, I told them so!

Fourth, speaking of fascination, the central issues of this election were moral issues and the war in Iraq/war on terrorism. I agree with Mark Shea that this means only one thing. The door of people's minds and hearts are beginning to open to the Gospel. I mean, in 11 out of 11 states, the ban on homosexual marriages went through, usually in a two-to-one margin. Even the very liberal Oregon passed the ban in spite of all the bucks that went into trying to defeat the ban. But I have to present one caveat. It goes back to my comments upon natural law. We need to learn how to do two things when confronting the culture around us: 1.) learn to take it one step at a time and 2.) learn to craft the argument so that it makes sense to the speaker. At the same time, Mr. Bush does need to make more clear when and how he intends to "wage war" against a terrorist collaborating country.

Fifth, the electoral college must go. This cock-and-bull story that gets thrown about that this helps small states weight their votes better is well, bull. We almost had a major electoral problem because two or three very large states could easily swing the election.

Sixth, tommorrow the work begins anew. Come on, people. Did you think that just because GWB et alia won that you could give up the fight for our culture? Yes, we have even a better chance soon and very soon to overturn Roe v. Wade and lead others to respect human life, from natural conception to natural birth. But the day that RvW is overturned means thousands of hearts and minds will ask, "What am I to do with my sexuality so that it will lead to authentic happiness?" And that is where we must step in.

Seventh, this is for Oklahomans only. I didn't vote for the lottery. I don't have a problem with gambling but giving more money, for even a vaunted goal like improving education, to a bunch of chuckle heads who don't prioritize education is GPS. So when it doesn't pan out, just remember who gloated that he was right not to vote for it.

UPDATE: I just received an angry email from a group of weasels who didn't appreciate my reference to Senator Kerry above. Fine. I didn't mean "weasels": I meant "minks." Happy now?

No comments: