Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Ragemonkey Red Alert: Get Out And Vote!




Last night, Fr. Hamilton and I had a marathon bull session about the issues and for whom we are going to vote. Well, mission accomplished. I voted today and feel great because this was the first time I felt really ready to vote and knew why I was voting for and against. We had a small litany of state questions that needed some thinking through, although some of my responses would surprise folks.

One of the great features of Oklahoma politics is accessibility to my representatives and those running for office. Last night, after I got off the phone with Fr. H, I was looking over a letter from the gentleman running against the incumbent in my district. At the bottom of the letter, the gentleman running gave his phone number. So, I decided to call. Initially, I got his answering machine, but like the uber-dork that I am, I forgot to leave my phone number. I call back and this time, I get the guy on the phone. We had a very good conversation for about 20 minutes, before I released him back into the wilds to put up more signs and harass more voters.

As I was driving to my polling place this a.m., I was thinking about funny it would be if this guy won and I could strike up the conversation about several issues that he really hadn't formulated a position on. At the same time, I was reflecting upon Sts. John Fisher and Thomas More. And then the idea hits me. I am going to send a small icon/picture of St. Thomas More to this guy if he wins. I don't think that he is Catholic, but the note will read something like, "Even if you can't appreciate his religious convictions, at least he should inspire you to stand up for what is right, even when other people say you are wrong."

Even if you are sick of the hype and the ads, even if you aren't thrilled with every person running, GET OUT AND VOTE! Take your Catholic Faith firmly in hand and walk into that voting booth. Let the Holy Spirit shape and guide you to do what is best in this situation. All that evil men need to succeed is the silence of the good. As St. Thomas More once wrote, "It is the first crime, and greatest treason, to do the right deed for the wrong reason."

This election day, may all the Holy Souls in Purgatory, Sts. John Fisher and Thomas More, intercede for our country and for us all on this election day. May we and all who find their way to public office do God's Holy Will.

No comments: