Sunday, December 12, 2004

Silly Wabbit!
I have made a post similar to this one in the past and it seemed to generate some interest. Today, though it was liturgically the Third Sunday of Advent, we had the various cultural celebrations for Our Lady of Guadalupe. The day began with a packed church at 6:00 a.m. to sing songs to the Virgin of Guadalupe. It was amazing to see. I am serious; the church was packed at that hour. Many people I had never seen before, and who some of our sisters knew had driven in from 35 minutes away, were here at 6:00 a.m. I don't know why that can't happen more often on a Sunday, but sadly it does not seem to happen. I stopped in next door at the church before driving to one of my missions. As I stood in the back and sang with the people, I noticed a lady standing a few feet away from me with her daughter. She was wearing a grey sweatshirt with an enormous Playboy bunny symbol on it. I do not, and probably cannot, understand how someone who is supposed to be a Christian can reconcile owning such a thing to begin with. Coming to church wearing it is, in my opinion, inexplicable.

So I waited until she looked toward me and I motioned for her to step into the foyer area to speak with me. I told her I was glad she was there, but I did not like at all the symbol on her shirt. I asked her if she knew what it was. She said she did. I told her she needed to change before Mass started (later in the day). She immediately took the sweatshirt off. Later today the same lady was one of the Guadalupe dancers before Mass. It is beyond me to understand how the inappropriateness of her attire could have escaped her. I guess I am going to need to write on the topic in an upcoming pastor's column.

No comments: