Monday, February 14, 2005

Bodies in Rest, Bodies in Motion

I never quite know how to feel about the announcement of new translations of the Lectionary and the Missal. On the one hand, I am all for accuracy of translation and beauty of language. If that is what the adaptions are after, then more power to you. On the other hand, new translations mean months of explanation, months of listening to complaints of "I don't like this..." as though one's personal preferences were a valid criterion for the analysis of liturgical language, months of stumbling through the half-remember former text and the currently being assimilated new text. So, you can color me ambivalent.

However, with all that said, and tipping my hand as someone who took 2 years of Latin in high school and 1 semester of Vergil in college, that whatever is produced has got to be an improvement over the banal and superficial translation of the Canons and Collects we currently suffer with.

No comments: