Friday, March 25, 2005

Frozen in the tomb?
Well, folks, two ceremonies of the Sacred Triduum are now complete in my parish for 2005. We still have the "mother of all vigils" (as the Church refers to the Easter Vigil) tomorrow night. I am a bit concerned however, because a winter storm warning begins tonight and continues through Sunday, with predictions of 4-7 inches of snow. It looks like weather may require a much smaller fire held just inside the church, using chemicals rather than wood and things. We shall see. I am sure that whatever happens, the Easter Vigil will still be beautiful!

Tonight, thirty minutes before the start of the Good Friday Service of the Lord's Passion, the parish began the Divine Mercy Novena which will continue through April 3, the Second Sunday of Easter, Divine Mercy Sunday. I am happy to be doing this here. Actually, in the rush toward the Triduum, I hadn't given much thought to this novena. Credit goes to Fr. Tharp who mentioned in one of our phone conversations last week that he would be beginning the novena in his parish tonight. So, I quickly made a plan, announced it at last weekend's Masses, and got notice of the novena in the bulletin for Easter weekend. And then something providential happened as I was wondering how to provide information on how to pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, and whether I would have to take it upon myself to type up some sort of explanation sheet. I walked into the Parish Office and there was a bundle of pamphlets on the Divine Mercy that had been ordered some time ago. It was all set and ready to go! May the graces of this novena and this year's celebration of Divine Mercy rain down upon us! And, thanks, Fr. Tharp!

No comments: