Wednesday, October 26, 2005

A Restoration of Proper Order

This article introduces an interesting notion that I have been arguing for, for several years. While I would qualify more carefully the statements that Confirmation isn't about being a good soldier for Christ, because I think that Confirmation as a seal for the battle of faith is a valid way of considering the sacrament given especially the early history of the Church, I wholeheartedly encourage this move to restoring Confirmation to a closer place with Baptism. After all, this is the nature of Confirmation; its primary effect is to complete Baptismal graces. To hold off Confirmation, because we want people to make a "mature" decision about their Faith, severely undercuts the two Sacraments which assume that aspect, namely Holy Communion and Confession.

Tip o' the biretta to T.K. for sending this my way.

No comments: