Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Documentary Evidence

Well, the great wailing and grinding of teeth has begun in earnest. I read the document very quickly and was taken by both its directness and its simplicity. Again, no big surprises to be found anywhere. What I found interesting is how the length of the document broken down. On my printer, the document printed out at 10 pages, five of which were footnotes. I think we can safely say that this document is hardly arbitrary in its judgments. Then when you look at the citations, the vast majority of citations date from the time of the Second Vatican Council forward. In other words, rather than this being a "new" action by the Holy See, it is a simple reinforcing of an instruction that has not necessarily been followed in the past.

I invite everyone to take a read before leaping to conclusions.

No comments: