Sunday, November 20, 2005

The short answer is "Yes."

Is that judgmental? Probably.

From my own work in post-abortion healing, I can tell you that the decision to abort is never done simply or without some degree of coercion by some party or another. I can only imagine what kind of pressure could be exerted if the doctor would come at you and say, "Your baby won't be normal." Granted, I find it worrisome that the article didn't mention how accurate the test actually is, not that accuracy does away with the eugenic overtone of the whole matter. I can only imagine the horror and dread compounding in my soul if I can a.) chosen to abort and b.) then to have my primary motive taken away from me.

The reason for the title of this post comes from a very pessimistic part of my personality. I have a hard time believing that there is any medically supportive posture here. I don't really think that this fetal test is being offered so that parents can prepare to take on a special needs child. Sorry, it's just what my gut is telling me. The culture praises perfect body, perfect eyes, perfect makeover. The least burden is to be shunted aside without reference to the person who suffers it or finding ways to alleviate the problem.

With all this said, I could be completely wrong. Actually, I hope I am.

No comments: