Tuesday, December 20, 2005

I have another angle on this whole thing

While we have been giggling privately to ourselves about the Cruise-related hijinks, there might be a greater spiritual combat present. Let me explain.

Tom Cruise is a lapsed if not apostate Catholic. I guess the distinction would depend on how free he was, was coercion a part of the equation, etc. (In other words, I am not privy to the inner workings therefore I am not speculating.) He was, for a time, a seminarian, I believe, at Conception Seminary College, my alma mater. Interestingly enough, Katie Holmes is a Catholic, again presumably lapsed because of her practice of Scientology. (Again, please see caveat above. I am making no claims to knowing the whole story.) But here is the interesting piece of the puzzle; Brooke Shields is a practicing Catholic, so much so that she obtained an annulment to her marriage with Andre Aggasi before marrying her current husband. Now, I know many of you will say, eeew, she got a divorce. My response, hey, she was interested enough in practicing the Faith that she went through the annulment process.

I am not one to propose conspiracy theories, but isn't interesting that a lapsed Catholic has a public battle with a practicing Catholic over how the principle of religious belief affect life? Again, let's continue to pray for those in the entertainment industry.

No comments: