Sunday, March 12, 2006

Change of plans; prayers needed
Well, I finished up Masses today and was getting things in order to hit the great American highway for a long drive to southeast Oklahoma for a few days of fishing. However, I have had to change plans. As I was packing (and thankfully before I hit the road for the long drive) I got a call that my Uncle Bill Hamilton, my Godfather, had died this morning of a massive heart attack. He was close to 75 and was my dad's oldest brother. He was the patriarch of the family long before his time. His own father, my dad's dad, died when they were just teenagers. Uncle Bill has kept the family together through some difficult times and is that member of the family to whom everyone turned, to whom everyone looked as that unstated but certainly rightful icon of the Hamilton Family. His death, the first of my dad's siblings, is a milemarker of sorts. He was a good man and a good father. The family gatherings, the home base out of St. Louis, will seem rather empty now. So, my travel plans will be taking me in a different direction now as I head to St. Louis for the funeral. No fishing for now. Back to being a fisher of men. Please pray for the repose of the soul of William Patrick Hamilton, Jr. Thanks so much!

No comments: