Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Blog on the Run!

In a continuing effort to intimidate Fr. H with my technical expertise, I have moved the blog to a mobile location. Yes, using the power of a new wireless enabled laptop, I am blogging to you live (well, somewhat live) from the Starbucks on Western and 63rd in OKC. I am sipping a latte, looking like the ultimate yuppie priest. (When in Rome...)

At any rate, I am keeping my car from Fr. H so that we will not have a repeat of last year's shoe polish inspired madness. I came into the bustling city for a combination of events. On Sunday, I sped into town for my sister's birthday party, only to arrive too late. That's what they get for holidng something on my busiest work day. Instead, I went to the local pub for a couple of beers and to commiserate with a fellow cleric about the day-to-day efforts of priestly ministry. A funny sidebar to this story: when I walked into the bar, another guy walked up to me and said, "Don't I know you?" He was one of the guys who had been in my regular Tuesday night trivia team that met at the local Buffalo Wild Wings. I hadn't seen any of them for a couple years, essentially from the time I moved to Woodward. He was one of the highlights of that group, being witty and engaging and strangely, bearing a striking resemblance to Paul Giamatti. After we chatted, I sat down at the bar and placed my order. He came back and said, "That collar of yours frightens people. My friends are so freaked out." Apparently, the local parish priest knocking back a few pints is outside of most folks' experience. Go figure. At any rate, it was a good time.

Yesterday, I hung around the city, had lunch with another priest of the diocese and ran errands. Key to yesterday's full excitement, I picked up issue six of DC Comics "Infinite Crisis." I also milled around the Books a Million rather than my usual B&N stop. It's a good little company although probably doomed to be crushed under the corporate jack boot of the above mentioned company. Then I took my sister out to dinner for her birthday.

That brings us to today. Today is the Chrism Mass. For those outside the Catholic sphere, the Chrism Mass is one of the solemn events of Holy Week. Traditionally celebrated on Holy Thursday morning, it is the Mass in which the holy oils are blessed by the bishop. At the same Mass, the priests of the diocese re-commit themselves to their promise to respect and obey the bishop. In all it is a very moving Mass and despite the travel and other things, I look forward to this Mass. For those who are wondering why it is being celebrated today, when a diocese is very spread out and it is too difficult for the priests to attend because of the distance, permission is given for the Chrism Mass to be celebrated at another time. For those in the OKC area, I highly recommend that you come and kick off your Holy Week the right way. And you might even get a little face time with the Ragemonkeys for the effort.


Okay, it is almost time to run off to my lunch appointment. Let us pray for each other and we'll see each other in the light of the Resurrection.

No comments: