Friday, May 12, 2006

And just how do you suggest we do that?

Referencing back to a comment left in the boxes under the post on the impending RCIA summit, a reader mentioned the need for instructing catechumen and candidates on the role devotional prayer plays in the Catholic Life. I would agree with the observation; while devotions were mentioned, there wasn't anything done to help integrate them into my formation. Why I think that happened is neither here nor there, and resolutely remains, not the point.

The comment led me back to a basic question I have had as pastor: how do you teach devotion and piety to a parish? Given that devotion to a particular saint or practice is intensely personal, a priest must be cautious not to communicate the message, "if you don't like the devotions I do, you are a bad Catholic." I think there are some devotional prayers, however, which transcend that issue, e.g. The Rosary, the Stations of the Cross, lectio divina. The question remains however, how do you form people in this aspect of prayer so that it become a consistent part of their daily life of Faith.

So, that's the question I want you to answer. Put yourself in my shoes and then come up with some ideas about how do you teach devotion to those who are planning on entering the Church.

No comments: