Friday, June 09, 2006

Bishop-elect Daniel Thomas, Auxiliary of Philadelphia
I just returned from our summer continuing education event for the priests of both Oklahoma City and the Tulsa diocese. This summer's theme was not theological (as is the normal routine) but what you might call professional development: It was a presentation of the Seven Habits of Highly Effective People to the life and ministry of the priest. It was an excellent seminar and I look forward to develop some better habits in my own life and work. As I am checking the Vatican news from the past few days, it is with particular joy that I want to give attention to the nomination of Msgr. Daniel Thomas as the new Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. Msgr. Thomas was on the faculty of my seminary in Rome while he worked at the Congregation for Bishops in the Vatican. I must say, this announcement is no real surprise at all. The students of the seminary who knew him have long suspected this day would come. He is a great priest and it was always a joy to hear him teach about spirituality, Church teaching, and, especially liturgical matters. Congratulations Bishop-elect Thomas!

No comments: