Friday, October 13, 2006

Probably going to regret posting this, but here it goes...

When I saw this link, I became deeply troubled, troubled for three reasons at minimum. On the one hand, the tactic strikes me as disingenuous. Granted the situation is different in OKC than NYC, in that if I have an issue to discuss or hash out with the Archbishop, he's really only a phone call away or I usually can get some time to sit down and talk. After living in Philadelphia for five years, I saw that most large dioceses don't really work that way, or at least, that's what it looked like to this observer. To see the ordinary required a fair amount of planning and good timing probably because of the time constraints upon him. Right or wrong, that's the case. Even with that said, anonymous letters being circulated?! I suppose there could be fear of reprisals, but really, if the situation is so grave as to suggest a "no confidence" vote for the ordinary, then the time for subtlety ended four minutes ago.
The other troubling fact is that this is not how priests should relate to their bishop. To quote from the Office of Readings for the last two weeks or so, the bishop and priests are related to one another as fathers and sons or Christ and the apostles. We all know that those two situations were not free from difficulty. But to air this sort of situation in public effectively, and for those who say "we didn't think it would go public," please join the rest of us in the 21st century where even your private cell phone communications can get you into hot water, it quite unfair. Perhaps it is my mid-west sensibilities at play. You just don't air dirty laundry for everyone to gawk at.
The third troubling fact is that there is no attribution to the story. Oh sure, I can take you back to Whispers in the Loggia, but that is a far cry from knowing the sources. If Mr. Palmo is breaking the story, then that is to be expected.
Regardless of my troubles, this is a grave situation. Please pray today for the people of the Archdiocese. I am afraid this is only going to worse before it gets better. Believe it or not, I am praying that this is a hoax.

No comments: