Thursday, November 30, 2006

"When It Rains, It Snows; I Wonder Why..."

After a 13 month drought here in the state of Oklahoma, the morning dawned cold and snowy. Yes, living in rural Oklahoma has taught me the joy with which I should welcome snow: nothing rebuilds the water table and re-hydrates crops more effectively than a thick blanket of snow. So, I thought, like perhaps hundreds of schoolchildren, it was going to be a light day. Well, when it rains, it snows.

I got an emergency call.

One of my parishioners suffers from a series of diseases and has been getting progressively worse over the last several months. I have to say that for someone facing death, she is facing it with an abundance of the virtue of hope. Well, last night, she was taken to the hospital last night and it was serious enough that the family called me to come to the hospital.

Granted, I didn't care for the drive. Driving in the snow is far more pleasant than driving on ice -- that's virtually impossible. It was a tense, slow experience. But even though the woman was much better when I saw her, it was good that got out and did it.

For those discerning a vocation to the diocesan priesthood, take note. You have the same motto as the Post Office: "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds." The key difference lies in the destination of the one being delievered...

No comments: