Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A Close Call
I returned Monday from my annual class reunion. It was a great trip as always -- so relaxing, just catching up with brother priests who continue to be a serious part of my own ongoing formation as a priest. It is truly treasured time.

When I returned home I learned of the avalanche in Colorado. My brother lives in Boulder so, upon hearing the avalanche news, I thought, "Oh, I wonder how close that was to him? Probably not all that close."

Then Mom filled me in and then I spoke to my brother.

My brother and some of his friends were on their way to a ski resort for the day. They were on the very road, US 40, onto which the avalanche fell, knocking cars off it. As best we can estimate, based on the time of the avalanche and when some concerned calls began arriving on his cell phone, he had passed the very spot of the avalanche only some 5 to 10 minutes earlier.

My brother agreed with my suggestion that such events make you stop and think.

No comments: