Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Homiletic Improvement Program

I know that this will sound odd, but after about four years of preaching I am a little burnt out. I think this comes from the fact that I have not been in one assignment for an extended period. I can never remember if I have dealt with something in a particular way, not wanting to repeat an example or analogy too often, and I don't know the parish well enough to know what needs particular stressing to guide them to Christ and our true home.

So what I am saying is "I'm tired." One of my little projects for Lent is to renew my preaching. People say I do a good job with a homily, but I don't sense it. While I am working on my end, I thought I might ask my readers for input. From the laity, what is it that you are looking for in a homily? What has made the best homily you ever heard, the best homily you ever heard? From my brother priests, how do you go about prepping to preach? What resources do you use? How much prayer time goes into the preparation?

No comments: