Wednesday, March 31, 2004

Distracted
I have been away from the parish for the past few days, helping with our diocesan trip to Conception Seminary's "Come & See" weekend and, today, with a day of reflection for the Senior Class at one of our high schools. Also, my computer is at the doctor, getting some service and cleaning. So, I have been away from regular blog posting and will be away until the weekend. Infrequent use of mom's computer is the best I can do for now.

The trip to Conception Seminary was great. It was my third time to assist the priests from the Vocations Office as a chaperone. Conception runs a weekend "Come & See" retreat twice a year, once in the Spring and once in the Fall. Our diocese always attends the Spring one. We try to get enough interest to take one bus load up rather than two smaller trips. I have always enjoyed this trip and the retreatants, almost exclusively high school aged young men, always seem to value the time too. It is certainly my duty as a priest to assist vocations efforts. In addition, while I still retain some youthful appearance, giving "face time" at vocations events is that much more important. I don't know what the measurable return is from this trip, as far as is concerned guys who actually sign up for seminary, but there are always a few who express serious interest in the seminary and, I am sure, the retreat at least gets each guy thinking about God's Will.

Regardless of the vocation chosen, how can that be anything but positive for the Church?

No comments: