Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Catchy Diddies

I was never meant to be a professional musician, but clearly I have an ear for music and musical structure. On Saturday last, I was flipping through the channels in a vain effort to find something that didn't irritate or offend. Yes, I know, good luck. The cable provider up here carries CMT (Country Music Television, for the uninitiated) and they were showing a video by an artist named Cledus T. Judd. He's the Weird Al Yankovich of the country music set. I sat and listened for about 2 minutes and thought the premise was amusing. It was a homage to Nascar based upon Toby Keith's "I Love This Bar" recast as "I Love Nascar."

The next day, and I mean all day, I had the hook and refrain running through my mind. I could not purge it. At one point, I almost recited it as part of the Eucharistic prayer! Apart from the blasphemy issues, I wonder how many folks would have noticed. This just goes to show how anything can become a permanent part of our neural net if we let it. Come on and sing it with me, "Ah, vroom, vroom, vroom, I love Nascar..."

No comments: