Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Reflections upon suggestions

Okay, a few days back, I asked for some input on what a parish should be doing for the Year of the Holy Eucharist. I am going to list them in rank of popularity and make some comments about each one.

Adoration of the Most Blessed Sacrament outside of Mass
This is a core issue that everyone pointed to. More people wanted it; those who took part regularly wanted more Adoration. Some of the suggestions, though, are impractical. I don't think readers understand just how small my parishes are. Sacred Heart in Alva is about 100 families, Our Mother of Mercy in Waynoka about 20 families, and St. Cornelius about 40 families. Therefore, perpetual adoration is right out. More likely are the weekly adoration and the modified 40 Hours Devotion ideas. As Fr. Antoine Thomas, a major proponent of Children's Adoration, will be at the Family Life Conference in Wichita so I think I am going to pick his brain. I think what might happen is the kids will go to adoration as part of the Religious Education program on Wednesdays.

Catechesis
This is a no-brainer. My problem is what to do. I think bulletin inserts or articles are a given. And I have made plans to have Eucharistic formation incorporated into the Religious Ed. classes. But what else fits in here?

Speakers
I have plans to bring Mark Shea to the parish in November. Since he has a talk called An Evangelical Discovers the Real Presence, this would be fitting. That the event will go in the newspaper goes without saying. I probably could think about bringing another speaker in 2005, but I am not sure yet.

Eucharistic Processions
This was a very cool idea that hadn't occured to me. I could do this at the end of the modified 40 hours. I especially liked the idea of driving to other parishes with the Blessed Sacrament in the Monstrance. C.J. gets bonus points for thinking outside the box.


Special Prayers After Mass
Already under way. I have this problem with the current practice of many daily Mass congregations of thanking the priest, apparently for saying Mass. I am not the source of the Mass; Christ is. Therefore, the faithful should be encouraged to thank God for the Mass and then if the priest is particularly hard-working at making sure the Mass gets the treatment it deserves, then send a note, call later. But 15 seconds after Mass is concluded doesn't do any favors.

Debate
Ah, no. Not a bad idea. Just the wrong context.

Poetry Contest
This is might be good for RE. Just need a good essay question...

Home Masses
No way. My experience has been that home masses trivialize the Mass in spite of my best efforts.

No comments: