Thursday, November 04, 2004

Christian Radio sell-out
I was really disappointed today when I opened a packet mailed to the parish from the regional Christian Radio broadcaster. They were advertising upcoming programming: continuous Christmas Music from December 5-26. Included in the packet were bulletin inserts to advertise this venture. I offer two critiques: (1) I understand that this is hopelessly Catholic, but I am going to say it anyway: Christmas is NOT over on December 26th! If you want to have continuous Christmas music and you are starting so INCREDIBLY EARLY, can you not just let it hang on a few extra days to get us through the octave of Christmas or even Epiphany? But I won't hold that one against them since they aren't Catholic. However, the second critique is an entirely different matter. (2) The bulletin inserts the radio station was kind enough to include do NOT have EVEN ONE sacred image on them. There are snowflakes, an elf, and Mr. & Mrs. Snowman, but not one image of the Nativity, not one reference to Christ .... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not even the Christian radio station gets it! They have sold out. I suppose I should calm down long enough to assume that they avoided religious images in order to try to bring in other listeners, who might hear some other faith message on the radio and eventually be converted. But then I think, wait a minute, these inserts are for use in churches where we can assume -- I hope -- a belief in Christ and that he is the true focus of the season. So, I am right back to screaming again, knocking over cereal boxes in the grocery store aisle and throwing cartons of eggs in a desperate attempt to get people to WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: