Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Not sure what to make of this
Yesterday I received in the mail what appeared to be a formal invitation of some sort. My name on the envelope had clearly been printed by a computer with that mass mailing zip code line composed of vertical dashes. That looked odd, considering the tell-tale paper stock that screamed "formal invitation." It had a return address in Atlanta, Georgia. Hhhmm, I thought, I don't know anyone in Georgia who would be getting married.

I opened up the envelope and pulled out the contents, which only confirmed my original suspicion that I had received an invitation. Inside was a tri-folded card with a rough-torn edge on one end of the flap. Yep, I thought, that fancy, shmancy card stock, someone is getting married. This is what I read when I opened the folds of the card:

Cingular Wireless
&
AT&T Wireless
Invite you and everyone in your family
to share in the joy of our coming together.

I'll spare you the rest of the card, except that I will admit that I thought the very bottom line, "Reception to follow immediately," was clever.
So, I am not sure what to make of this ad campaign. First off, I am surprised at how much money the company must have spent to send these things out. This is not your normal paper and must cost quite a bit more than your average mailing. Furthermore, the fold of the cards, the rough tear, the envelope of matching card stock -- the price adds up. But secondly, and more to the point of this post, what should I make of their following of marriage announcement etiquette? I'm just not sure.

No comments: