Thursday, December 09, 2004

It's Not Wichita...

but it is interesting nonetheless.

As most readers know, because of my friendship and association with the Diocese of Wichita, I have been daily 1.) taking jabs from a fellow Ragemonkey about my putative status as bishop-elect which no one wants, least of all the Church in Kansas, and 2.) checking the Vatican bulletins for the most recent appointments.

Today, there was no news for Wichita. However, there are two very interesting appointments for other dioceses in the United States. First, Monsignor Michael Bransfield of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, formerly rector of the National Shrine in D.C., cousin to one of the guys I went to seminary with, has been named by the Holy Father as Bishop of Wheeling-Charleston. I believe this is in West Virginia. Second, and more interestingly, Bishop Wilton Gregory is moving from Belleville, IL to Atlanta, GA. This is interesting because this would be, I think, the second African-American bishop for the diocese.

Assignments for bishoprics tend to move in national/continental groups. It looks like we are moving back to the U.S. for the moment. Can Wichita be far behind?

No comments: