Sunday, December 05, 2004

A LITTLE LATIN FOR ALL OCCASIONS
Yeah, I know I said that I am going to be silent for awhile, but the operation is not until Thursday, and I have a little time before Baptisms. I have been being tutored in Latin at our high school, and the teacher who has been tutoring me gave me a most amusing book for Christmas, it is entitled, "Lingua Latina Occasionibus Omnibus" (Latin for All Occasions). It is everyday, modern phrases translated into Latin (OK, some are not completely modern). Here are a few just from the back cover, which I found amusing:
  1. Satine caloris tibi est? (Hot enough for you?)
  2. Heu! Tintinnuntius meus sonat! (Darn! There goes my beeper!)
  3. Oportet ministros manus lavare antequam latrinam relinquent. (Employees must wash hands before leaving restroom.)
  4. And my favorite: Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam. (I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)

No comments: