Thursday, December 23, 2004

Pastoral Neurosis
Okay, I admit it, I am walking over to the church about every hour, convinced that since the time I last walked through the church, all of the Christmas trees and poinsettias have suddenly died, turning our beautiful decorations for the Solemnity of Christmas into a depressing display of death and destruction. Such is the world of a new, young pastor.

Some advice please (for the future): What is the least confusing way to list the Christmas Midnight Mass? Should it be listed together with the Friday, December 24th, Christmas Vigil Masses? Or should it be listed with the Saturday, December 25th, Christmas Masses? I chose to list it as December 25th. Here is how I did it in the bulletin:

Christmas Masses:
Christmas is a Holyday of Obligation
Friday, December 24th
Hooker, OK: Vigil Mass at 7:00 p.m.
Boise City, OK: Vigil Mass at 7:00 p.m.
(Midnight Mass: See below)
Saturday, December 25th
Guymon, OK: Midnight Mass at 12:00 a.m.
Guymon, OK: Morning Mass at 10:00 a.m.
Are people inclined to think they should come Saturday evening, for the Mass at Midnight? In other words, a Mass at midnight technically means a new day has begun. Or should I have listed it as December 24th, Midnight Mass? Oh, I just don't know! If only I could guarantee that parishioners would read the bulletin and hear the Mass schedule announcements with Spock-like logic, I wouldn't have to worry about these things.

No comments: