Monday, December 27, 2004

There's no place like home, there's no place....
I am taking off today after the morning Mass to drive over to Fr. Tharp's parish, Alva, Oklahoma. There will be the typical hijinks at his place this afternoon, including attempts to publicly embarrass him if we manage to go out anywhere. But the real news (and the reason for the trip) comes the following day. On Tuesday, Fr. Tharp and I will hop into his car (affectionately referred to as "The Batmobile") with superhero-like agility (well, on second thought, maybe we'll just get in the car like normal since we'll probably have a nice cup of java in our hands, and it would be sinful to waste precious coffee) to drive up to KANSAS for the Episcopal Ordination of Bishop-designate Paul Coakley.

Folks, I am taking my digital camera, so I might have some pictures to share once I return. I am sure there will be hilarity to share too. I confess that this trip is a bit of an etiquette conflict. You see, neither Fr. Tharp or I was invited to the Ordination; we are inviting ourselves. I think my excuse for the personal invite is a bit more convincing than Fr. Tharp's, however. Bishop-designate Coakley was my spiritual director for some time in 2002-2003. Will we crash any wacky-wild Ordination parties? Will I be able to past a photo of me standing next to the newly ordained bishop? Will I catch a glimpse of Fr. Tharp schmoozing with folks, or worse yet, setting up a table at party entrances where he offers signed copies of his apologetics column from our diocesan newspaper? I would be satisfied, however, if I could just get a picture of one of us standing next to a reception ice sculpture of Sts. Peter or Paul, or maybe one of some Kansas sunflowers.

Reports to follow....

No comments: