Monday, January 17, 2005

Have you been made a "fresh wineskin"?
There is an integral continuity from the Old Covenant to the New. We do not artificially compartmentalize them or dispose of the Old as if it had no value. Nonetheless, there is definitely something new with the onset of the Incarnation and ministry of Jesus. He himself makes this clear. The gospel at today's Mass highlights this tension between old and new: "Jesus answered them, ...'Likewise, no one pours new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise, the wine will burst the skins, and both the wine and the skins are ruined. Rather, new wine is poured into fresh wineskins'."

Ask yourself today, How new and fresh is my skin? Is it up to the task of containing the new wine of God's revelation, Jesus the Christ? This is no dermatological inquiry, rather, a look at how new, clean, and fresh the soul is! Do I make a good confession frequently enough? Do I have serious sin on my soul that needs the grace of the confessional? Consider these questions before the next reception of Holy Communion. These were the thoughts running through my mind as I peered down into the chalice this morning during the consecration. I only wish I had had these thoughts to share at the homily!

No comments: