Wednesday, February 09, 2005

It worked!
A big "thank you" to the many readers who shared their suggestions for how to burn palm branches for today's ashes! I am happy to report that the project produced more than enough ash for my three parishes. And, it is working! They look like ashes and they stick to people's foreheads! Yeah! Sorry, I guess after inhaling quite a bit of the stuff the first two times I burned palms, I am happy to see that it is all worth it and that it works. I think, too, the symbolism is neat that all the people provided something that became the item we use to mark the beginning of the penitential season of Lent. Before the Masses began today, I had a cleaned out Cool Whip container full of ash. NO! I didn't use the Cool Whip container ceremonially -- it was simply a place to keep them until I put some in little dishes for distribution at the Masses.

No comments: