Thursday, May 26, 2005

The Numbers are Looking Better!

I know that many people who read CRM have been praying for me as I continue my treatment for thyroid cancer. Last month the main number they look at, TSH (which stands for "Thyroid Stimulating Hormone") was at 84. Now for folks without thyroid cancer a TSH over 5 is considered high (which means that I do not have enough TH, or Thyroid Hormone), and for people like me, for whom the TSH can stimulate the growth of the cancer, they want the TSH to be 0.0-something. Obviously mine was sky high, leaving me exhausted, irritable and depressed. My endocrinologist immediately increased my dosage of Synthroid to 200 mcg.

Since then I have been feeling merely tired all the time, not exhausted, and the smile on my face is more natural and less forced. I have been feeling more like my old self. I saw my doctor again today and my TSH is down to 5.6, which is MUCH closer to "normal." Now we are just fine tuning the dosage of Synthroid. Of course a major imbalance in part of your metabolism throws off other parts as well -- my LDL is back to normal, though a liver factor is still high as is my triglyserides. Over all, I am doing much better, so thank you all so much for your prayers.

No comments: