Saturday, July 23, 2005

Credit card grace
I had an interesting encounter on the phone today as I tried to activate my new credit card. I called the automated service and when I entered the information it requested, it bumped me over to a customer service representative. You see, due to my upcoming move, I had entered my new address via the internet yet I am still living at my current Guymon address. Therefore, the computer wouldn't recognize my phone number and mailing address as my home. Days ago when I made the address change update, I had no idea I would be getting a replacement card in the mail and so I didn't foresee this problem.

During my conversation with the service representative he asked for my employer, which prompted me to reveal that I am a Catholic priest. Instantaneously the representative began referring to me as "Father". At the end of our conversation, the man revealed that he had considered entering seminary, but that he and the vocation director he knows had decided the priesthood was probably not his vocation. I asked if he felt comfortable with that decision. He said, "Well, Father, I don't know what the Lord has in store for me, but I am reasonably certain it is not the vocation of the priesthood." I thanked him for at least giving priesthood thought and said that was a valuable thing for any man to do. He thanked me for my ministry and we concluded with a "God bless you." Now, I only hope that conversation was recorded for customer service monitoring, because it was a rather unique credit card exchange.

Grace in the seemingly most unlikely of places, huh? Don't be surprised if it can be found in your work place too!

No comments: