Wednesday, October 19, 2005

That title probably needs a question mark behind it

I was pleased to find this bit o' news on the web tonight, especially considering I dodged a tornado to get here, but that's another tale. While I am pleased to see the advance, you might not want to get the balloons and crepe paper out just yet.

The problem, as I understand it, with miracles needed for canonization is that they truly must have no other explanation than the intercession of the saint. In other words, the fact the deacon in question had surgery before said cure could rend the miracle dubious in some folks' minds. Compare this to the second miracle for the canonization of St. Katherine Drexel in which a little girl grew new bones in her inner ear, I think you'll understand my point.

Either way, good for the good Cardinal.

No comments: