Thursday, November 03, 2005

The Fulfillment of a Vietnamese Proverb in My Time

Last night during the Newman Society meeting, one of the local Spanish professors asked me to come and do a presentation on the Spanish Inquistion for his upper level Spanish seminar next Friday. Of course, I readily agreed. I love taking on debunkable myths.

However, then I started thinking through the research I was going to have to do. Then I realized how poorly most of these kids, I was willing to bet, had on European history. So now I am in a virtual panic, and all over a 20-25 minute presentation. What I love (or loathe, ask which tomorrow) most is the fact one of local Protestant minister will be coming to another class to provide an "alternative interpretation." Gaaaah! It just leaves me foaming at the mouth which brings me to the title of the post.

Twee was a friend of my sister's. She would with my sister in the pharmacy of a major OKC Catholic hospital for many years before Twee moved away. I suspect, that Twee was in part responsible for my sister's return to the Faith and my subsequent conversion. After meeting me on one occasion, Twee told my sister this rather ominous piece of information. Apparently, among the Vietnamese, to be born with a freckle on your lip, like myself, meant that your mouth was going to get you into trouble. Considering the considerable head ache this presentation on the Inquisition will create for me, I would say my mouth got me into a world of hurt.

I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

No comments: