Tuesday, January 10, 2006

What?
Okay, sometimes I just get annoyed by what passes for news. Other times I get annoyed by the "hype" of selling news and selling news stations. A commercial airing currently on one of the major network affiliates here in Oklahoma lauds how they are the number one newscast in Oklahoma. It lauds their news dedication, their news prowess, and their lead time on all the major stories of interest to Oklahomans. The commercial ends by stating something that leaves me scratching my head. It goes something like this (though this isn't an exact quote): "You have made us not only the number one newscast in Oklahoma, but the number one newscast in America."

What?! Okay, so let me get this straight. So many Oklahomans are watching this affiliate's news cast that it has not only the number one rating in Oklahoma, but the number one rating in America? How is that possible? Perhaps I am missing some application of that claim, but it makes no sense to me. How could an Oklahoma market be so big that it is actually the number one in America?

No comments: