Thursday, February 01, 2007

The Radio Priest Rides Again!

After being off air for several months, I am about to be back on, but as a totally rank amateur. One of the many podcasts that fill up my IPod concerns the use of the English language. It's from KPBS and it's called "A Way with Words." It's a really interesting discussion of language and grammar and other bits of that stuff we use to bind up our society.

I called in with a question about the word "bollix" and whether or not it was appropriate public speaking, especially for someone in my line of work. The contact person from the station was an absolute delight to speak with and I am really excited to be on the show. I get to ask my question on Wednesday and that would suggest that the show will be that Saturday. At any rate, when I find out about air times, I'll let you know. Of course, you could just subscribe to the podcast and be extra cool like me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a word "bollix," which means "to throw into disorder." I don't really think there's any reason to say it would be inappropriate for public speech.

I think you meant the word "bollocks."

Anonymous said...

I was just going to say that :)