Friday, October 03, 2008

Apples and Oranges

A quick post to tell you that there has been a cosmic shift here at Ragemonkey.  You see, Fr. H is the more, ah, technologically limited of the two of us.  I often resort to elves, gnomes, and dwarves to explain the intricate inner workings of the computer and tech world.  So, Fr. H's computer finally had a full blown nervous collapse and died.  He was remorseful; he was lost, so in fraternal love, I stepped in and gave him a hand.  After listening to him, I decided that there was only one solution: Fr. H had to go Mac.

Before anyone thinks that my conversion to Mac is new or that I am hating on PC, I will have you know that my first experiences on computer were PC.  I learned how to program and work them from the days before Windows.  (Yes, children, many moons ago, computers would generally do as they were told by the powerful operating system called DOS.  Then the dark times came and the Gates brought Windows.)  But through middle school, high school, and college, I worked on Mac and loved it.  The problem was the cost.  Generally, Mac was about $500.00 more than a PC, and there were software limitations and so on.  So, I stayed away.  In Father H's case, the complexity and voluble nature of the PC platform is just an invitation to screaming and gnashing of teeth.  The Mac is really the ideal 'puter for him.

On Monday, Fr. Hamilton and I went to the OKC Apple Store and got to work.  I felt bad for the Apple minion who was trying to help Fr. H.  Every time the Apple guy would suggest something, Ham would turn to me and ask do I need that.  Generally the answer was no.  I'm just glad they don't work on commission.  Fr. H departed with a midline MacBook and early reports are that he loves it.  Fast forward to Thursday...

On Thursday, I schelpped my carcass up to Tulsa to present an image of the Infant of Prague to St. Francis Children's Hospital.  (Go here to learn more.  The facility was truly lovely and excellently arranged so that families would feel at home in that strange environment.)  The computer in my office was several years old - about 6 all told.  It was time for a new one.  So, while I was in Tulsa, I zipped over to the Apple Store and picked up a new desktop model for the office.  I just finished setting it up and I cannot tell you how impressed I am with it.  It is simply great.

So, I am sold.  When my laptop goes belly up, or I save enough money (I may have to have surgery soon due to excess skin removal and that is going to be PRICEY!), I am going to get a really nice MacBook.  The other bonus is this sets the stage for my new podcasts.  More on that later. 

I recommend very highly abandoning Windows at the first chance and go to Mac.  The prices are very competitive and the unit is just super.